In my previous post, Custom Podium, I explained how I built a podium for my new classroom. Now, you get to see how I painted and stained it. Just looking at the pictures gives me goose bumps because I can *see* it in my room already.
Here is a picture of the plain podium and some creature that lives under it.
I transported it back to my garage and evicted my husbands truck so that I would have a workspace.
I couldn’t decide if I wanted to just paint it black or use a stain since the wood grain was so beautiful. I also thought about personalizing it somehow. I love monograms and have a tendency to monogram or personalize anything that will stay still long enough. I read lots of blogs and searched on Google and just didn’t see the perfect podium. But, I did find several different elements that I liked. So, I just decided to do them all. I incorporated paint, personalization, and stain all in one project.
Sounds hideous doesn’t it?
I whipped out the Silhouette Cameo and decided to design a monogram. I used Photoshop CS 6, saved it, and uploaded it into Silhouette Design Studio to cut it out on vinyl. This is what I came up with.
I centered and applied it onto the raw wood. Then I painted the design with Kilz white paint. Sorry for the extra-ugly cell phone pictures – my photographer was out cutting the grass.
If you try this, make sure to remove the vinyl stencil before it dries. You always want to remove stencils while the paint is wet or the paint may peel or flake off of the surface.
I let this dry really well. Then I scuffed it up with sand paper just to beat it up a little bit. Then I started applying the stain. I chose Minwax in Ebony. I wanted it black so that it would match my room but I wanted the grain of the wood to be exposed a bit. I’m very happy with the coverage.
You’ll quickly see that whatever was painted does not stain well which allowed the painted emblem and monogram to pop through. I was pleasantly surprised that the bright white was stained to a light grey. It toned down the dramatic contrast.
After the stain dried I applied Minwax Polyurethane in a High Gloss Finish.
I’m really pleased with the way it turned out. I still have a few more coats of polyurethane but I couldn’t wait to share my project with everyone.